Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Time: 8:00 AM – 2:20PM
Analyst: Roger Bowles
Wednesday, October 19, 2016, a standard weekly field evaluation was conducted on the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) system. Below is a summary of of the evaluation.
Primary purpose for this evaluation was for speed restriction verification, segments covered during this evaluation were as follows:
Red Line Track 1 Rockville – Silver Spring
Red Line Track 2 Silver Spring – Rockville
Orange Line Track 1 Metro Center – Landover
Orange Line Track 2 Landover – Federal Triangle
Blue/Yellow Lines Track 1 Van Dorn St – Gallery Place
Yellow/Blue Lines Track 2 L’Enfant Plaza – Van Dorn St.
During the course of the evaluation the following operational concerns were noted:
- Multiple (excess of 50%) violations of 5 second rule prior to door opening
- Multiple occurrences of train operators securing cab side window prior to all doors closed being confirmed
- Several occurrences of door closing operations being initiated while passengers still boarding/alighting
- Single occurrence of train passing roadway personnel on adjacent track at approximately 40 MPH
During the course of the evaluation the following track concerns were noted via photography, it should be noted that while none of the observed conditions posed an imminent safety concern, these items should be addressed at this stage to mitigate escalation to a potential service impacting issue.
* Note: Future Evaluation reports will be including additional detailed information *