Rail Transit OPS is an independent, 100% publicly-funded organization that was launched in December 2015. We monitor and evaluate the operations, performance and safety (OPS) of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Metrorail system. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay apprised.
By working closely with our partner MetroHero and performing field evaluations, we proactively identify potential concerns and issue recommendations that would mitigate potential incidents from occurring.
Our operations are 100% funded by public contributions. The level of these contributions dictate the level of service we are able to provide.
Our top 3 action items are currently:
- WMATA to return to Automatic Train Operation (ATO) and Automatic Door Operations on full-time basis
- WMATA to operate 7000-series train consists in six-car configurations
- WMATA to reduce radio clutter by improving radio communication protocols
To find out how to help us in our mission, click here.
Who are we? Here are our charter members:
- Roger Bowles, detailed with reviewing procedures and policies compliance with a concentration in safety management & incident reviews; performs field evaluations on rail operations
- James Pizzurro of MetroHero, a software engineer detailed with providing real-time visualizations and historical operational data on Metrorail
- Stephen Repetski, detailed with providing analysis of Metrorail operations via data visualization and an understanding of agency historical contexts